Signs It's Time to Consult a Divorce Lawyer
Winnipeg family lawyers at Cassidy Ramsay provide clear legal advice and guidance to clients going through separation and divorce. It is often the case that a marriage breaks down gradually over a period of months or years. Once the marriage ends, the process of separation begins – this too happens gradually over a period of time. Divorce does not (an in fact, cannot) happen overnight. When you are living through the period that follows the breakdown of your marriage, it can be difficult to know what steps to take and whether you need legal advice. Read on for some of the signs it is time to consult a divorce lawyer, prepared by our Winnipeg family law firm.
First, a word on the role of a divorce lawyer
The first thing you should know is that consulting with a divorce lawyer does not mean that a divorce is inevitable. If you are having marital difficulties or are considering ending your relationship, consulting with a divorce lawyer can simply be to gather information, understand your family law rights and obligations, or devise a plan to protect your legal interests. By that same token, consulting with a divorce lawyer does not mean you have to start family litigation or go to court if you have already separated from your spouse. There are a number of out of court settlement options, such as negotiating a separation agreement and mediation. Regardless of where you are at in the process, a divorce lawyer’s job is to help you make clear, thoughtful decisions that ensure your rights are protected and your wishes are met. For more information on how a divorce lawyer help you, please contact Cassidy Ramsay’s team of family lawyers.
Winnipeg family law firm on signs it’s time to consult a divorce lawyer
Here are some of the major signs that it is time to consult a divorce lawyer:
1. There is mental, physical, or sexual abuse in your relationship. Violence or abuse in a marriage undermines trust and makes communication with an abuser difficult, unhealthy, and potentially dangerous. A skilled divorce lawyer can intervene, advocating on your behalf and evening out power imbalances created by abuse.
2. Emotions are running high. The end of a marriage is stressful and the emotions that come along with it can be overwhelming, particularly where children are involved, where there was abuse in the relationship, or where your partner was unfaithful. Anger and resentment can cloud your judgment. Fear can prevent you from taking the next steps to untangle your life from your spouse. A divorce lawyer can reduce conflict and guide you when animosity runs high.
3. Your spouse is hiding money, transferring property, or racking up debt. If you notice that money is being moved out of bank accounts, stocks are being sold, property is being transferred, or valuable pieces of jewelry, art, or technology are being removed from the home by your spouse, contact a divorce lawyer immediately to protect your financial interests. The same is true if you notice that your spouse is incurring debt on your credit cards or lines of credit.
4. The children are being affected by the situation. Children can be deeply affected by seeing their parents fight on a constant basis, and when everything is up in the air, it can have a profound impact on children’s wellbeing. If your children are being negatively affected by the breakdown of your marriage, it is in their best interests to get a parenting plan in place without delay to deal with issues such as child custody, access, and support. A good parenting plan, whether temporary or permanent, will give the children stability and eliminate some of the friction between the parents.
5. Your spouse is delaying resolution of your family law issues. If your spouse is dragging their feet or refusing to respond to your attempts to deal with your family law issues, there are steps a divorce lawyer can take to move the matter toward resolution.
6. Your spouse has started court proceedings. If you have been served with a Family Law Act application or a Divorce Act application, it is highly recommended that you speak with a family lawyer as soon as possible. You only have a certain number of days to prepare your response setting out whether you agree or disagree with what your spouse is seeking on issues of vital importance such as child custody and access, spousal support, and division of property.
Get guidance and legal advice from an experienced Winnipeg divorce lawyer
Cassidy Ramsay is a law firm that has provided professional and knowledgeable legal services to Winnipeg and the surrounding area since the 1970s. Our trusted lawyers have substantial experience with all facets of family law proceedings and ensure a compassionate, straightforward approach to your case. In an emotionally unsettled and stressful situation, we bring an air of stability and calmness. If you think it may be time to consult with a divorce lawyer or would like to know more information about how a lawyer can help you, contact Cassidy Ramsay’s team of Winnipeg family lawyers by phone at 204-943-7454 or by using our online eForm.